top of page

PRESS ARTICLE

The BO is proud to host the 21st edition of the Engie Open de Biarritz

The @botennispadel is proud to host the ENGIE OPEN every year, the women's tournament of the ITF circuit, in partnership with ENGIE and the city of Biarritz.

Did you know that the club, in its early days, already benefited from a female influence?

A little history…

It all began in 1913, when Biarritz Olympique was established on the Aguilera estate.

During the First World War, barracks were built for refugees on the site of the lawn tennis courts. And the Villa Rose built in 1890 then became a war hospital.

In 1921, a fronton was built in place of the grass courts, then the following year 4 clay tennis courts came to life at the club.

In 1944, Jeanne Peyré, a first-class player, became the first tennis teacher at the BO. 4 years later, Jean Hourdillé, new teacher, created the first tennis school. 
 
It was in 1955 that the first women's team entered the French interclub championships, almost 70 years ago!

Even today, the club is developing several women's projects to encourage all generations to come together around tennis.

ENGIE OPEN is part of this growth to promote women’s professional tennis.

The BO is proud to host the 21st edition of the Engie Open de Biarritz
bottom of page